NOVEMBER 15, 2018
Early Benchmarks Show ‘Post-Millennials’ on Track to Be Most Diverse, Best-Educated Generation Yet
A demographic portrait of today’s 6- to 21-year-olds
BY RICHARD FRY AND KIM PARKER
Industry Specific Key Points:
– Nearly one half of Post Millennials, those born after 1996 and who in 2018 are currently between the ages of 6 and 21, identify themselves as racial or ethnic minorities.
- Out of that number, Hispanics account for 25%. This is up from 18% for the Millennial generation.
- In 2017 a greater percentage (59%) of Post-Millennials, who were no longer in High School, reported being enrolled in college when compared to similarity aged Millennials in 2002 (53%), and GenXers in 1986 (44%).
- College pursuit by gender and minority at similar ages (18 – 20 year olds):
- Women: Post-Millennials = 64%, Millennials = 57%, and GenX = 43%
- Men: Post-Millennials = 55%, Millennials = 49%, GenX = 45%
- White: Post-Millennials = 61%, Millennials =59%, GenX = 48%
- Blacks: Post-Millennials = 54%, Millennials = 47%, and GenX = 34%
- Hispanics: Post-Millennials = 55%, Millennials = 34%, GenX = 28%
- Asians: Post-Millennials = 78%, Millennials = 74%, GenX = NA
- Post- Millennials are entering the workforce with less labor experience. When comparing the percentage of 15 – 17 year olds (for each generation) who reported having a job, the Millennials and Post-Millennials, were 30% and 19% respectively, while the Baby Boomers came in at nearly 50%. Among 18-21 year olds today Post-Millennials reported that 58% were employed during the calendar year while Millennials and Baby-Boomers of the same age came in at 72% and 80%, respectively. These statistics indicate that this next generation will be entering the workforce later in life and with less experience when compared to previous generations.
What does this mean for the construction industry? We need to educate ourselves on the needs for each of these groups if we are going to successfully recruit and retain them as a part of our workforce.
“Let’s Build America!”